Tuesday, June 2, 2009

My favourite character in Village by the sea

My favourite character in Village by the Sea is Lila, one of the main characters in the story. She contributed to her family by assuming the role as the mother as her mother was severely sick.
Lila has to wake up early in the morning to make tea for Bila and Kemal before they go to school. In the afternoon, she has to wash their clothes and prepare the meals for the family. At night, she cannot sleep peacefully as her father will make a lot of noises by breaking the clay bowls. In other words, she received nothing in return for her contributions to them. If I were Lila, I would surely feel unfair as I cannot receive education, unlike my younger siblings, who study and will have a bright future. Her spirit to persevere makes her want to continue her “mundane” lifestyle. She can choose to throw tantrums at her parents for the unfairness they treated her or abandon her family for Bombay, like Hari. I dare to say that if Lila abandon her family and leave for Bombay to find a job, her life will be better and more meaningful. Sadly, she did not as she wanted to stay with her mother and siblings to take care of them. Therefore, I really admired her spirit of selflessness and perseverance.
Some people might say that Hari is the same as Lila, as they both contributed much to the family. However, Lila’s case is somehow different from that of Hari’s. Hari hated his father so much that he wanted him to die, but for Lila, she accepted the fact that their father is an useless man. Also, Hari left for Bombay in anger as he hated his father very much, neglecting the feelings and welfare of his family. Who will be the breadwinner if Hari leaves? It is obviously Lila, thus, her “workload” increased. However, Lila did not grumbled as she knows that being the eldest silbling in the family, she has the responsibility to take good care of her family.
Now, do you know why she is my favourite character in the story?

7 comments:

  1. Hi Kenneth here. I admired your way of explaining how Lila was selfless towards the contributions of the family and provided for the family and was the breadwinner and the one who sustained the family throughout Hari's presence in Bombay.

    There is excellent thoughts and feelings you have written in your post like "I dare to say that if Lila abandons her family and leave for Bombay, her life will be better" and I also feel that the way you compared Hari and Lila was also quite well done by explaining Hari's situation and Lila's situation.

    Surely, Lila was the one supporting the family throughout but it was under the familiarity of the environment around her. She knew what Thul was like so she was able to sustain her selflessness throughout. Hari had to familiarise himself in Bombay and was the breadwinner too. Hari had to face the society which he had not at all. Hari can also do the same duties as Lila, I feel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, this gave me a good strength for my studies.

      Delete
  2. Thanks. this well help me in my studies

    ReplyDelete
  3. of cource lila is the most important chracter as she is always thoughtful about her family............. shouldering all the responsibilities of her family...............

    ReplyDelete
  4. helped me a lot in projects
    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. ya I thank you a lot because to help me in my school summer holiday homework .I am glad of you

    ReplyDelete