Sunday, February 28, 2010

Interpersonal (Interview)

I have done my interview with my neighbour (a fourteen-year-old), regarding prejudice and discrimination. Below is the transcript of the interview.

Me: Do you know what prejudice means?
Her: I think it means to have an unfair opinion on a group of people or someone basing on their skin colour, sex or country they live in.

Me: What is discrimination then?
Her: Isn’t this the same as ‘prejudice’?

Me: Discrimination is when a group of people is treated unfairly by the rest.
Her: …so ‘prejudice’ is to have an unfair opinion and ‘discrimination’ is to treat some people unfairly?

Me: Can you give me examples of discrimination?
Her: The treatment towards Blacks in the 1950s and the first-class citizens discriminating the second-class citizens

Me: How would you feel of you are discriminated?
Her: I would tell my parents or settle it myself by telling the people who discriminated me to stop their insults?

Me: Is there any way to solve discrimination?
Her: There are a lot, like killing, threatening and so on. But the best way is to sort out the differences between the two parties.

Me: Have you read the book ‘To kill a mockingbird’? If yes, can you give me examples of discrimination or prejudices?
Her: There are lot as this book was written in the “Unfair treatment towards Blacks”-era. Some examples would be the treatment towards the Negroes and the prejudice feelings towards the Boo Radleys.

Me: Is there any discrimination in Singapore?
Her: We are indeed very lucky to live in Singapore because it is discrimination-free!

Me: Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me



Please comment on what some questions can be asked during the interview. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment