Sunday, February 28, 2010

Intrapersonal (Diary entry from Atticus)

I will be writing a diary entry of Atticus in TKAM. Below is my diary entry.

Date: 1 March 1948

Time: 9.47pm

Mood: Disappointed and learnt something at the same time


Dear Diary,

My children just slept. I could really see they were disappointed about the verdict but I was glad to let them see the true side of people.
Today, I represented my client, Tom Robinson to court today, regarding Mayella Ewell’s case. Before the trial, I knew Tom would surely be sent to jail because he was a Negro. However, I just could not believe that people of Maycomb could be so prejudiced towards Negros. The prejudice feelings among the white people are so strong that no matter how many times I proved that Tom was innocent, they still remain ignorant towards it.

The verdict of this case solely depends on the colour of the accused, and not the evidence produced during the happening of the case. What has this world changed to? Why is this world so unfair? Negroes are humans too, and they deserve human rights like us, the white people.

During the trial, I know I cannot lose because this concerned the life of a Negro and his family but I also know that this was the time of “unfair treatment towards Negroes”. I was reluctant to tell this to Tom before the trial, but I knew he knew this too. Still, he remained optimistic and told me “Atticus, I hope to see this change for the better.” My eyes went wet because I expected him to be angry and would kill the Ewells.

I attempted to potray an image of the Ewells’ family background and also proved that Tom was a cripple. Actually, I knew that the judge and the jury knew that Tom was innocent but they could do nothing due to the fact that white people were pressurizing them. If I were the judge, I would acquit Tom and face the insults from my fellow white people. This is because I know that there is nothing wrong in acquitting an innocent fellow.

What I can do now is to sigh. I am sighing because of the unfair treatment towards Negroes. I am sighing because no one dared to speak up for Negroes. Now, I can only hope that in the future generation, there will be a democracy and prejudice-free place!

I am going to turn in now.

Goodbye.

Regards,
Atticus

1 comment:

  1. You need to amend date of entry of diary. It should not be 1948 but 1935. The timeline on this website will shed some light on why it should be 1935. http://www.universalteacher.org.uk/gcse/mockingbird.htm

    ReplyDelete